What is Software Testing? Software Testing is a process used to identify the correctness, completeness and quality of a developed computer software. It is defined as an activity to check whether the actual results match the expected results and to ensure that the software system is defect free.
This process also helps to identify errors, bugs and any other missing requirements. This includes a set of activities conducted with the intent of finding errors in software.
Why is Software Testing Important
Because of software bugs could be expensive or even dangerous. Software bugs can potentially cause monetary and human loss.
For an example, on June 4 in 1996 an unmanned Arine 5 rocket launched by the European Space Agency and this was exploded just forty seconds after its lift off. Because of this was a software error in the inertial reference system.
In May 1996, a software bug caused the bank accounts of 823 customers of a major U.S. bank to be credited with 920 million US dollars. So now you can understand how important software testing is. Because these kind of software bugs and failures give some trouble.
What is Software Testing Principles
- A necessary part of a test case is a definition of the expected out or result.
- A programmer should avoid attempting to test his or her own program.
- A programming organization should not test its own programs
- Any testing process should include a thorough inspection of the result of each test.
- Test cases must be written for input conditions that are invalid and unexpected.
- Examining a program to see if it does not do what it is supposed to do is only half the battle, the other half is seeing whether the program does what it is not supposed to do.
- Avoid throwaway test cases unless the program is truly a throwaway program.
- Don not plan a testing effort under the tacit assumption that no errors will be found.
- The probability of the existence of more errors in a section of a program is proportional to the number of errors already found in that section.
- Testing is an extremely creative and intellectually challenging task.
Skills required to become a software tester
Basically you need Technical skills, Analytical Skills, Attitude, Productivity and a passion. In details, we can divide into two parts. Non-technically and Technically are the two main part in become a software tester process.
- Non-Technical Skills – Tester must need to manage the time and have organizing skills. Other thing is tester must have great attitude
- Technical Skills – It is find to have basic knowledge of Database and basic knowledge of Linux commands. But software tester must manage the test process and defect tracking tools or automation tools
Software Testing Careers
- Associate QA Engineer
- QA Engineer
- QA Automation Engineer
- Senior QA Engineer
- Associate QA Lead
- Lead QA
- Senior Lead QA
- QA Manager/ Test Manager
- Senior Test Manager
Also you can learn what are the Software Testing Types in IT field. Click here to refer.