In this article I am going to discuss what are the types of software testing. Lets see Unit Testing, Smoke testing, Sanity, Regression, Performance, Compatibility, Security , Usability, System and Beta testing types.
What is Software Testing
According to guru99, they said ” Software testing is a method check whether the actual software product matches expected requirements and to ensure that software product is defect free.” It means this is an like investigation to provide stakeholders about the quality of the software product under test.
We can divide software testing into two types. That is Functional Testing and Non-Functional Testing.
This is a type of testing which verifies that each functional of the application operates with the requirement specification. We can test each functionality by providing appropriate input and output.
Lets see what are the Functional software testing types one by one.
Unit Testing – Types of Software Testing
Testing individual subprograms, subroutines, classes or section in a program called unit testing. Unit testing is a way to manage combined elements of a testing. Also we can say unit testing eases the tasks of debugging.
Smoke Testing – Types of Software Testing
Testing the core functionalities of a program called smoke testing. The term smoke test in technology is broadly used to test product features in a limited time. We can take Access to the application, logging in with a set of users, main modules of a particular application as examples of capabilities tested during the smoke test.
Regression Testing – Types of Software Testing
testing an existing software applications to ensure that a change or addition has not caused any errors with existing functionalities. this type can re-run the testing scenarios that were originally scripted.
To select a regression testing, first of all we have know requires knowledge about the system and how it is affects by the existing functionalities. And also have to know to select test based on the area of frequent defects. Tests are selected based on the critically of the features.
Sanity Testing – Types of Software Testing
This will performed after receiving a software build with minor changes in code. This is non-scripted and a sub-set of a regression testing.
System Testing – Types of Software Testing
This will compare the entire system or program to its original objectives. Also requires a set of measurable objectives for the product.
User Acceptance Testing
In this testing type, Developer will conduct user tests during the development cycle prior to delivering the finished product. This is the process of comparing the program to the current needs of the end users. This will performed by the customer.
This is a type to check non-functional aspects of an application. We can check performance, Reliability etc. Lets see the what are the Non-Functional Testing types.
This is designed to test the program performance objectives. This can compare the performance of two systems. Performance testing involves quantitative tests done in a laboratory environment. There are types in performance testing. Load, stress, spike, scalability, volume, endurance are the types.
- Load testing – test a system with constancy increasing load
- Stress testing – check the salability of the software
- Spike testing – performed by suddenly increasing the number of users by a very large amount.
- Endurance testing – testing a system with an expected amount of load over.
- Scalability testing – to determine the capability
- Volume testing – testing with a large amount of data
what are the uses of performance testing? As we discussed we can improve user experience and also we can identify bottlenecks such as database configuration. This will provide reporting to business stakeholders regarding performance.
We can use LoadRunner, Apache JMeter, NeoLoad, Loadster, QEngine tools to do software testing.
This is used for test an application to ensure that it is compatible across operating systems, hardware and web browsers. This is the validation that the application runs properly in versions.
There are two type in Compatibility Testing
- Backward Compatibility – verify the behavior of the developed application with the older version.
- Forward Compatibility – verify the behavior of the developed application with the newer version
This is the process of testing an application to check whether it is according to the specific security objectives. Web based applications often need a higher level of security testing than most applications.
Test the user friendliness of an application and identify usability defects.
Test whether the software behaves according to the local culture or settings and test whether the application has appropriate cultural aspects for a particular locality.
Thank you for reading. If you are interesting on my article, make sure to follow my other articles as well. Make sure to leave a comment.
- Android Studio Articles – https://builditmasters.com/category/android-studio/
- Android Studio Firebase Tutorial – https://builditmasters.com/category/android-studio-firebase-tutorial/
- C Programming – https://builditmasters.com/category/programming/
- Flutter – https://builditmasters.com/category/flutter/
- GitHub Tutorials – https://builditmasters.com/category/github/
- Java Programming – https://builditmasters.com/category/java-programming/
- MERN / MEVN Stacks – https://builditmasters.com/category/mern_mevn_stacks/
- Tech News – https://builditmasters.com/category/tech-news/
- Theory Lessons – https://builditmasters.com/category/theory-lessons/
- Adobe Tutorials – https://builditmasters.com/category/adobe-tutorials/
- Best Website for Programming – https://builditmasters.com/category/best-website-for-programming/
- Different Programming Styles – https://builditmasters.com/category/different-programming-styles/
- Earn Money – https://builditmasters.com/category/earn-money/
- Social Word – https://builditmasters.com/category/social-world/